Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wines and Evil Zen

This year I have officially acquired my taste for wine. It just hit me. It's weird because some wines used to taste awful, but now it seems that I am able to stomach them all. One wine I really enjoy is a cabernet sauvignon called Double Dog Dare.
It's quickly becoming my first favorite. Now, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you can taste hints of this and hints of that. But what I can tell you is that it's not bitter and not too sweet. For $4.00 a bottle at Total Wine in Harbison, I can't go wrong!

In other news, we worked at Conway Acres, our small balcony garden.  We started some organic tomatoes and bell peppers from seeds which you can read more about on Ashlie's post before this one.  After a long back-breaking day, we turned in for the afternoon and then it hit me.  I need a man garden!

Now one would think a man's garden would need to include something of great strength to be considered a man garden.  What could I add to give this garden great strength?  We have had a small, rectanglular fountain for a while.  I wanted to incorporate this in my design.  The plants would need to be of a species that require moist conditions.  That being said, I knew exactly what I would build around the fountain.  After a quick trip  to Lowe's in Harbison, I quickly had the recipe for my garden otherwise known as the "Evil Zen Garden".

The fountain, centered in a flower box, creates the perfect setting for two carnivorous plants.  Your traditional Venus Fly Trap along with a Python Pitcher Plant were my choices.  The box said they needed to be kept moist and could withstand direct sunlight.  Great!  We also grabbed some Irish Moss to help keep the moisture packed in the dirt for the plants.  Outlining the plants and fountain is some small gravel that I picked up from outside the apartment.  I've gotta grab some more gravel today to finish building it up to the rim of the fountain.  Simple and easy to put together, which is another requirement for a man garden.  Who said all gardens had to be for women?

0 comments:

Post a Comment